Wednesday, May 23, 2007

05 Mueller-Catoir Riesling Kabinett, Gimmeldinger Mandelgarten, Pfalz

My first love in Riesling, and very likely to be my greatest. You know how these things work out. It doesn't hurt that all the wines I've had from this vineyard taste like genius. They seems to coalesce into perfectly synchronized wines tasting like the creme(just the creme) of exotic, masala tea dusted orchard fruits, dissolved silver, agave liqueur and a microscopic fireworks celebration. Top that for insane taste descriptors.

Goddamn it's expensive kabinett, but it's so freaking good. Since it's an 05, the weight is a little higher up there, but it's actually not even at an 04 Spat in terms of body, which is a huge (and wonderful) surprise. I know that M-C is undergoing a transformative period as the old, great master has left and the new guy is from Schlossgut Diel (ewwww). I can't be certain if its because I've not tasted older M-C's that I can't tell the difference, but the new shit is that chronic. There may also be something to the idea that the vineyard can express itself through different winemaker regimes. Whatever it is, its awesome. My favorite flavors in wine are found in this bottle. But $38!!! Jesus!

No comments: